Every woman is looking forward to the birth of her baby. However, becoming a mother, she often encounters problems. Almost every woman is worried about the process of breastfeeding. If you already have children, then there are usually less questions. This article will tell about what many women in labor are interested in - this is a lactational crisis. Periods, terms, what to do in such a situation - everything will be described below. You will also learn about the main causes of this situation.
Most maternity hospitals practice early attachment of the infant to the breast. This means that immediately after birth, your baby will be given suck of colostrum. Indeed, at the very beginning of lactation, it is it that stands out. Milk comes a few days later. But do not worry. A few drops of milk fluid will be enough for the newborn to get enough.
When milk arrives, it seems to most women that there is a lot of it. All for the simple reason that in the first days the baby cannot eat the volumes produced. But do not worry, soon everything will be normalized, and milk will come on demand.
Lactation crisis: periods
Just a few months after giving birth, a woman may face the first problems. A lactation crisis is a period when mother’s breast becomes less milk. Notice a woman can such a condition on the behavior of the crumbs. The baby begins to be attached more often, sucks for a long time and is capricious.
Periods of lactation crises can be different, but more often it occurs at three to six weeks from birth, then at 3, 7, 11 and 12 months. It is worth noting that many women do not notice such changes at all. They even have no idea what lactation crises are. When the child has whims or if he needs frequent attachments, mothers find other explanations.
How long does the lactation crisis last? This question arises in every woman who is faced with a similar problem. In fact, all individually. You can not specify the exact timing, because a lot depends on your desires and actions.
If you try to increase the amount of milk produced and comply with all the conditions described below, the crisis will end after only a few days. It usually takes three to four days. When a woman lets everything go on her own and categorically does not want to fight, the crisis can last up to a week (subject to continued breastfeeding). Many moms make the same mistake - they offer the baby a bottle. Such a lactation crisis is more likely to end with the completion of lactation. After all, over time, the baby understands that sucking from a bottle is much easier than getting healthy milk from the breast.
How to deal with the problem?
If a lactation crisis begins, what should your mother do? First of all, you need to contact a specialist. If you do not have an experienced adviser nearby, then you cannot do without a breastfeeding adviser. In modern maternity homes and antenatal clinics there are always such specialists. They will tell you about the nuances of the lactation crisis, and will also help to eliminate it in a short time.
In some situations, women are prescribed drugs that increase milk production. These can be special protein and taurine mixtures (“Semilak”, “Olympic”), tea “Milky Way”, dietary supplements “Apilaktin” and “Laktogon”. You can also purchase lactation enhancement products yourself. The most popular manufacturers are “Hipp”, “Grandma's Basket”, “Semilak” and so on. But it is necessary to immediately say that it is impossible to solve the problem only with drugs. It is necessary to understand why the lactation crisis arose, eliminate its causes and normalize the process of attaching the baby to the breast.
Rest and sleep
Lactation crisis in 3 months causes often have in the form of lack of sleep. After all, at this time the baby becomes more active, changing its daily routine. If earlier the crumb only ate and slept most of the time, now he needs to play and be awake. Mom can simply not cope with the entire volume of cases. A woman needs to pay attention to the child, cook food, and do some household chores. There is simply no time left for your vacation. Exhausted body can no longer supply the milk in the volume that you want crumbs. In addition, by the age of three months the need for the amount of food increases.
To eliminate this cause, you may need outside help. Ask your dad or grandparents for some help. Send them for a walk with baby. Themselves in the free time, do not grab for washing and cleaning. Lie down and sleep. The night sleep of a nursing woman is constantly interrupted. Therefore, a young mother just needs a few hours of rest. Many breastfeeding professionals also advise practicing nighttime sleep with your baby. In this case, you do not have to get up at every feeding.
Eat well and drink more.
A lactation crisis may develop due to insufficient nutrition and lack of fluid. As you know, breast milk is more than half water. Therefore, to produce it, the body needs a lot of fluid. If in the normal state a woman should drink about 2 liters of water per day, then a nursing mother needs about three.
Get yourself a separate container with water that you want to empty during the day. Each meal must end with a cup of hot tea, compote or juice. Make sure that all products are fresh and do not contain a lot of spices. Prefer soups, cereals, vegetables and fruits smoked and salty dishes. Never eat dry. Exclude carbonated drinks. They can not fill the body's need for fluid.
Often the lactation crisis develops due to a nervous breakdown. This can happen because of fatigue, lack of sleep, moral exhaustion, and so on. Therefore, a nursing woman needs mandatory support from close relatives. Never fall for help. More time to walk and spend in the fresh air. Long planting in four walls only aggravates your condition. Do not withdraw into yourself.
If you feel constant anxiety, you are nervous a lot and understand that you cannot cope on your own, go to the doctor. Your doctor will prescribe safe herbal preparations, for example, Tenoten, Persen, and others. They do not harm the baby, but they can normalize your condition. Remember that self-medication is unacceptable.
The lactation crisis can very quickly be overcome with the help of some secrets. The described actions will not take much of your time. With their help, in the future, you can not only overcome, but also prevent a new crisis:
- Before each feeding, do a light breast massage. Knead mammary glands along the ducts (from the base to the nipple). Please note that you can not push hard.
- To increase the amount of milk, give both breasts to the baby at the same time. First, let the baby eat from one, then change the position and attach it to the other.
- Promotes lactation pumping. After the baby is satisfied, gently using the breast pump or hand, squeeze the last drops. Do not worry that there is no milk left in the breast. The higher the need for it, the more it will remain.
- Make warm wraps. Heat the towel and apply it to the breast before feeding. This procedure will expand the ducts, improve blood circulation and increase the flow of milk.
- Do not dwell on the fact that you have a lactational crisis. Periods, terms of it you already know. Remember that everything will be normalized soon. Mom's psychological attitude is very important. Do not offer your baby a bottle. Better once again attach it to your chest.
Let's summarize a little ...
Any lactation crisis, periods, the terms of which are known to you - this is not such a serious problem for a woman who wants to continue breastfeeding. Remember that this situation is usually resolved in about a week. If you comply with the above conditions and advice, you can cope with a lack of milk in just a few days. If you are able to easily overcome the first lactation crisis, which occurs about a month after the birth of a child, then the rest will not present any particular danger and difficulty.
It is necessary to remember an important point: you should never replace feeding with a bottle. Do not think that your baby is starving. Check if the baby has enough milk. To do this, count how many times a day he urinates. If the number of wet diapers exceeds 12, then the baby has enough nutrition. Please note that this rule is valid only for babies before the introduction of complementary foods. Normalization of breastfeeding to you!
Symptoms of lactation crisis
The fact that there are violations indicates a sharp change in the behavior of the child. While applying to the breast, the baby can take and immediately throw it away, cry, try to suck again. Duration of feeding increases to 30-40 minutes or more.
Other signs should also be highlighted:
- the number of urinations of the child does not exceed 6-8 times a day,
- poor weight gain (less than 500 g per month and less than 125 g per week),
- reducing the time between feedings,
- rejection of the breast or on the contrary, prolonged sucking with periodic crying,
- decrease in the amount of milk in the breast (the woman does not notice hot flashes in the mammary glands),
- pathological changes in the stool: green color, stench,
- increased anxiety, poor sleep of the child.
How long is a lactation crisis?
The duration of the condition is small and is usually 3-4 days.
Lactation crisis should not be confused with true problems with lactation, when the mammary glands for various reasons do not produce enough milk. If the mother doubts that the baby has enough of her milk, you can eliminate your doubts with the help of the available Molle method. Body temperature is measured twice: in the armpit and under the mammary gland. If the temperature in the breast area is 0.1-0.5 ° C higher, this means that breast milk arrives in sufficient volume.
Why does a GW violation occur?
The most common reaction of the mother in this case is the introduction of complementary feeding of the artificial mixture. Women usually begin to doubt the adequacy of the volume or quality of milk produced. However, in most cases this “exit” brings only harm. Rapid habituation of the baby to the nipple of the bottle leads to further disturbances in the process of lactation, and sometimes to complete collapse of the breastfeeding.
You never need to rush to lure, especially if the child is not yet six months old. Knowing how the lactation crisis is expressed, each mother will be able to successfully cope with it.
Up to 1 year the development and growth of infants is abrupt, uneven. At each stage, more milk is needed than before, but the mother's body is temporarily not ready to fully provide it. This feature leads to problems with feeding.
There are other reasons. These are the already mentioned untimely introduction of artificial mixtures for supplemental feeding, frequent use of a pacifier or bottles with a nipple, disturbances in the feeding regime, excessive physical or psychological stress of the mother, infectious or other diseases of the child.
When does a lactation crisis occur?
Breastfeeding specialists identify several periods in the development of an infant when the likelihood of a problem is highest:
- At 2 and 3 weeks - the first lactation crisis occurs during the period when the baby begins to suffer from stomach cramps, which is an additional test for his digestive and nervous system. In 1 month of life, the first leap in development also occurs.
- At 3 and 4 months - the second lactation crisis, which develops as a result of an increase in the period of wakefulness and the beginning of active knowledge of the surrounding world.
- At 6 months - an important leap, the beginning of active physical activity - the child begins to sit down and crawl.
- At 10 months - a decisive leap in development, when the baby takes the first steps.
One of the most pronounced crises is the age of 3-4 months. This is a time of active knowledge of the world, when a child begins to be interested in toys, music, various objects, learns to roll over and pull up by the handles. The wakefulness period is increased to several hours. For some babies, this is an unbearable burden for the nervous system. In addition, as early as 4 months, the first teeth begin to erupt, which also leads to increased capriciousness and anxiety.
The next jump is for the period at the age of six months. Usually at this time supplements are introduced into the diet, which can be a great test. A child gets a lot of turns, gets on all fours, tries to crawl. Increasing periods of wakefulness and activity can cause overexcitement. Such a state is especially harmful at bedtime, when a tired baby cries, rubs his eyes, rushes about on the pillow, arches the body.
In this case, it is of great importance to observe the correct mode of the day and exclude active games or activities before bedtime. Some children are helped by swaddling, soft music.
The number of crises and periods of lactation periods are individual and depend on the overall health of the baby, his living conditions, compliance with the regime and the rules of general care for babies.
What to do during lactation crisis?
First of all, you need to learn how to distinguish a lactation crisis from true problems with lactation (for example, from agalactia). After all, the crying and restlessness of the baby does not always indicate his hunger. Determine lactation crisis will help count urination per day. This method is also called "wet diaper". The number of urinations 12 times a day is the norm, which means that there is enough milk and the problem is temporary.
Also an indicator is the weight gain per week. If the reduction in weight gain was short-lived, and in other weeks the increase was approximately 115-125 g in 7 days, there is no reason for concern.
To overcome the violation in the shortest possible time, subject to the following recommendations:
- As often as possible, apply the baby to the chest. This is especially true of night feeding and breastfeeding in the morning (5-7 am). This period is most favorable for stimulating milk production, since the hormone prolactin, which determines lactation, is produced.
- Feed only on demand, increasing the duration of feeding as much as the baby needs. The optimal interval between feedings is 2-3 hours.
- Try to spend as much time as possible with your baby. Many mothers practice joint sleep, which is a guarantee of the physical and psychological comfort of the baby. Tactile contact with the mother during sleep is of great importance.
- A sling is perfect for maximum body contact during the daytime.
- Emotional contact with the baby is established with the help of gentle words, stroking, singing songs. You may have to change the usual posture for more effective attachment to the chest.
- Do not give artificial mixtures or pacifier to soothe. To increase lactation it is necessary to practice regular pumping.
- Eliminate from your life heavy emotional experiences, make efforts to ensure that the home atmosphere is calm and benevolent. Ask for the support and help of other family members or friends. Try to provide yourself with positive emotions by listening to calm, quiet music or going for a walk in the park with the baby.
- Up to 6 months, the only food should be breast milk. As a rule, there is not the slightest need to give a child water, juice, or cereal until this age is reached.
- Observe a full diet and provide plenty of drink. The amount of fluid consumed should be at least 2.5 liters per day. You can drink mineral water without gas, natural juices, compotes, fruit drinks, green tea.
- Before feeding, you can practice a breast massage or a warm shower, which has a beneficial effect on the volume of milk produced. For massage use natural oils (peach, olive). The usual warming procedures for the chest will also help; you can use a heated diaper.
What kind of diet does the mother need?
In times of crisis, increased attention should be paid to feeding the nursing mother. The menu should include buckwheat and oatmeal with fresh fruits, boiled fish, baked or boiled lean meat, and vegetables. Для повышения лактации можно использовать укропную воду, БАДы «Лактогон», «Апилак», чаи «Хипп», «Лактавит», витаминные комплексы, разработанные специально для кормящих матерей. Перед их использованием желательно проконсультироваться с врачом или специалистом по грудному вскармливанию.
Many mothers are very selective in the choice of dishes, considering that some of them may adversely affect the quality and taste of breast milk. For example, they may exclude fruits from the menu, believing that they cause diathesis or intestinal upset in an infant.
In fact, moderate consumption of various foods, including sweets, will not have bad consequences for a baby, except for those children who have been diagnosed with severe allergies. At the same time, in the diet you need to exclude dishes with mayonnaise, shop ketchup and sauces, smoked meats, spicy foods, fast food.
Folk remedies to overcome lactation crisis
If at any stage the mother's body does not “have time” to produce the required amount of milk, it can be increased with the help of centuries-tested means. Among them are the following:
- Decoction of ginger. The crushed root of the plant is poured with water, boiled for 5 minutes and the resulting broth is drunk 3 times a day in half a glass.
- A decoction of nettle seeds. Seeds are poured with boiling water, kept on a water bath for 15-20 minutes, filtered, add a little honey, stir. Take 2 times a day.
- Pharmaceutical tincture of peony. Drink 30-40 drops before each meal.
- Peeled walnuts. Nuts pour hot milk, insist in a thermos, take a third cup twice a day.
- Seeds of fennel, anise and dill. Taken in equal parts, they are poured with boiling water, insisted for hours, filtered and taken twice a day before or after meals.
- Camomile tea. Chamomile flowers pour hot water, insist, take a third cup 2-3 times a day.
- Black currant juices, radishes, carrots, green onions, cumin seeds, bran bread.
On the formation of lactation, the rules of feeding, possible diseases and breast care, read our article: Mammary glands after childbirth.
What is a lactation crisis
A lactation crisis occurs because the baby’s needs for milk increase dramatically, and the mother’s body cannot immediately satisfy them. As a rule, a lactation crisis occurs after the formation of a mature lactation at 4-6 weeks after childbirth. Also, depending on the height of the child, it can happen again at 3 months, at 6 months and later. The timing of the emergence of lactation crises can shift, since they primarily depend on individual characteristics.
Lactation crisis is not dangerous for the body, although it brings a lot of inconvenience. It is for this reason that it is important to know that:
• The occurrence of a lactation crisis is a normal situation for a nursing woman,
• Psychologically, the crisis can be prepared in advance, and when an offensive is known, how long it can last and what should be done to get out of it.
The relationship between mature lactation and lactation crisis
Let's first take a look at what mature lactation is and when it is established. Mature lactation is the period when the mammary gland finally adapts to the process of breastfeeding. At the onset of mature lactation, the breast is soft, the milk is produced during feeding and is not stored, while it becomes larger.
With mature lactation, breast milk is formed:
- under the influence of hormones,
- As a result of breast stimulation by the child.
Mature lactation is established individually: in some it occurs three weeks after the start of breastfeeding, in others (most often) - in 3-4 months.
Sometimes there is a situation when mature lactation is not established at all. Most often this happens with regular expressions of breast milk. On the one hand, by reducing the number of pumpings, a woman can gradually complete breastfeeding. On the other hand, the quality of milk during pumping deteriorates.
Mature lactation usually proceeds completely calmly, but sometimes interruptions can occur - they are called lactational crises. Their duration on average does not exceed 2-3 days. In rare cases, the lactation crisis is delayed for a week. Do not artificially interrupt mature lactation. This is fraught with unpleasant consequences for the health of the mother, such as mastitis. Usually, by the time the child begins to eat “adult” food, lactation ends by itself (the process of natural involution). First, breast milk is close to colostrum in terms of antibodies, while its volume is significantly reduced, and after a while it finally disappears.
Terms and periods of lactation crisis
Lactation crisis is a natural temporary decrease in the amount of milk in the period of established mature lactation.
This is a temporary phenomenon, the most common when the child is at the age of:
Moreover, some women do not experience a lactation crisis at all.
For the duration, as mentioned above, the lactation crisis lasts 2-3 days on average, but usually does not exceed 7 days. With a longer course, we are already talking about hypogalactia, with such a condition, it is necessary to find out the causes and possibly prescribe treatment.
Signs of lactation crisis
Identify lactation crisis is quite simple. A breastfeeding woman can recognize his appearance independently, without the help of medical personnel. So, the signs are as follows:
- the child is often applied to the chest and "hangs" on it longer than usual,
- because of the lack of milk, the baby is often nervous and crying during feeding,
- mother feels that her chest is not filling.
There is also a method for checking the intensity of lactation. Otherwise it is called Moll method. The essence of the method is as follows: the body temperature is measured in the armpit and under the mammary gland. If the temperature under the breast is 0.5-1 degrees above the value in the armpit, lactation is quite intense.
Lactation crisis in 3 months
As a rule, lactating women face the first time with a lactation crisis somewhere after 3 months from childbirth. Although it may occur much earlier, it all depends on the individual characteristics of the mother and child, some women do not know about this condition at all, since they do not have a lack of milk.
By the 3rd month the baby and mother are already accustomed to each other. It would seem that the feeding process should be adjusted. But at one fine moment the child begins to “hang” on the chest or cry, and it seems to you that he remains hungry. Why does the milk crisis happen at 3 months?
The peculiarity of the age of 3 months is that during this period the baby begins to show interest in the surrounding world, he begins to move more actively, he needs more energy. Studying the world around takes more time, the intensity of attachments to the chest changes. Basically, the baby is now breastfeeding during daytime sleep and at night. Due to the increased activity, the baby needs more milk, while the amount of milk produced does not change, hence tears and discontent.
With this development, it is advisable to act as follows:
- if the child does not want to be attached to the chest during wakefulness during the day, you should not force him, but at the same time you should offer the breast as often as possible,
- if the child sucks the breast, it is impossible to tear it off until he himself lets it go, even if it seems to you that he fell asleep,
- It is important to pay attention to how the baby falls asleep, if it sucks the nipple at the same time, it is better to replace it with the breast.
- during this period, it is better to completely give up on a pacifier, to offer peace to the breast,
- it is necessary to feed the child at night, for this it is better to take him to his bed so that he can take the breast at any time,
- close contact with the child, especially skin contact with the skin stimulates lactation,
- In this difficult period, Mom should drink plenty of water and eat well.
What not to do during lactation crisis
• You can not be nervous and worry, it can adversely affect lactation. Lactation crisis is a temporary phenomenon that will quickly pass. Calm down and rest more.
• It is impossible to express milk, this process can start hyper lactation, then the milk will become too much and its quality will deteriorate significantly. Offer breast to your baby more often.
• Even if it seems to you that the child is hungry, you should not over-feed him. Supplement for breastfeeding should be administered only if the lactation crisis lasts more than 6 days. To feed a child of any age follows from a spoon or from a beaker, and from a bottle it is absolutely impossible that the baby does not become lazy and does not give up the breast.
How to determine if your baby has enough milk
To determine whether the baby has enough milk, it is necessary to calculate the number of urinations per day. Normally, the baby should urinate more than 12 times a day. If urination is less than 8, then you should wait for 2-3 days and look at the dynamics, if urination decreases or is at the same level, you should add supplements. About the rules of introducing supplements can be found on our website. Do not rush to transfer the child to mixed feeding, usually lactational crisis passes in 2-3 days.
Why may decrease the amount of milk
As a result of research and long-term observations, breastfeeding experts have identified several reasons for reducing the amount of breast milk:
• Periodic "jumps" in the growth of the child. The fact is that at certain points in time the baby is growing rapidly, which leads to an increase in the need for food. As the child gets older, the child sleeps less and is more awake. He learns to roll, crawl, sit, and then walk. Food needs more and more, but the mother's body is not always ready for such changes. In fact, milk is not getting less. It just takes time for the mother's body to adapt to the increased needs of the baby.
• Reducing the amount of milk knitted with daily monotony and fatigue. The appearance of a child sometimes radically changes the life of a woman. And no matter how long-awaited and beloved the baby is, for some time all actions take place exclusively around him. Lack of sleep, a long stay at home, the absence of a change of atmosphere and communication can lead to apathy, a general decline in strength and mood. Of course, this condition of a woman is far from the best effect on breastfeeding.
• The reason for reducing the amount of milk may be errors in the organization of feeding regimes. For example, the absence of night and morning attachments, abuse of the nipple or pacifier, rare attachment to the chest.
How to overcome lactation crisis
The problem of milk deficiency is completely solvable. First of all, you should calm down and accept the situation, because the milk crisis during breastfeeding is a natural and normal phenomenon. If he still came, it is important to know that the baby does not need to be fed. A healthy child born on time is quite able to do less food for a few days. On average, the crisis lasts 3 days, less often - up to 7 days. If you enter at this time lure in the form of milk formula, you can, unwillingly, transfer the child to artificial nutrition. With a mixed diet, the number of attachments will decrease, the breast will not receive sufficient stimulation, the volume of milk will not increase, but on the contrary will gradually decrease. In addition, an improper mixture can lead to allergies and digestive problems.
In such a situation, it remains to either wait or act as follows:
- Increase lactation. This is facilitated by an increase in the number of breast attachments per day.
- Apply your baby more often at nightespecially in the early morning hours. It was at this time that the female body produces the maximum amount of oxytocin and prolactin, the hormones responsible for lactation. It is better to sleep in bed with the child so that the food is always “at hand” in the baby.
- Get enough sleep. To this end, experts recommend going to bed with the child, including during the day. Ask your relatives to walk for an hour on the street, while you yourself do not bother with the house at this time, but get enough sleep.
- Rest and relax. As a rule, during the daytime sleep of the baby, the mother tries to remake a lot of household chores. When the onset of lactation crisis, these responsibilities are better to shift to other family members, having arranged a weekend. It is important not only to physically take a rest, but also to get positive emotions, watch a good comedy or listen to relaxing music alone.
- Eat right. A nursing woman should be on 5 meals a day. It is important that the food is balanced and healthy, because the quantity and quality of milk depends on it. The amount of fluid consumed during the day should be at least 3 liters.
- It will be easier for babies to suck if they slightly massage their breasts before feeding, or warm them with a warm diaper.
In any case, a nursing mother should not forget that problems with lactation do occur periodically. This is not a deviation and do not panic. Lactation crisis does not last long and can be overcome, follow the instructions and be positive.
Stages of GW, periods and periods of crisis
Lactation is divided into several parts, which differ in the changes in the composition of natural food and the structure of the mammary gland.
- First stage.
The first application usually occurs within an hour after birth, so colostrum begins. In the latter less carbohydrates and fats than in milk. However, the content of antibodies, proteins and vitamins is high.
Colostrum is produced a little, and many worry about it, taking over the crisis. Maternity hospital workers often feed newborns with a bottle bottle.
This is wrong, even though colostrum is small, but enough to saturate the body with essential elements. In addition, the baby does not need large quantities of food.
- Replacing milk.
With this transition, the mammary gland increases, hardens, there is a surge of milk. Initially, it is too much, but after agreement with the needs of the infant, the amount of food is established.
Milk does not remain after feeding, but is formed again by the next meeting with a crumb.
- Mature lactation.
Comes after 3-6 weeks of feeding. Milk comes stably at sucking, the child independently regulates the amount. Breast at the same time soft, decanting is not necessary.
Despite relative stability, it is during this period that the crisis begins. Duration is individual, usually 2–7 days.
Lactation crisis affects certain periods of HB. The first usually happens at 3–6 weeks, then at 3 and 6 months. That is exactly the time it takes the mammary glands to adapt to the increasing demands.
- Involution lactation.
This is the completion of natural feeding, in which breast size and milk quantity decrease, the composition changes. Excommunication from HB during this period will not cause any inconvenience to the mother and child.
Distinctive features of the crisis
- Baby often requires to eat, feeding takes a long time at short intervals.
- Sensation of emptiness in the mammary glands.
- The baby behaves restlessly, crying and angry.
It is important to remember that any anxiety crumbs can not be attributed to the crisis. He may have colic or attention distracted by other objects, knowledge of the surrounding world.
If a nursing mother often feels emptiness in the breast, and the baby cries, then you should not think that a crisis has definitely come.
The surest way to check the sufficiency of lactation is wet diaper test. During the day they should be more than 10-12 pieces, in this case, the baby grabs breast food.
Even if the test is successfully passed, many complain that the child does not let go, empties both mammary glands at a time and repeats the circle.
Even in such a situation, it is impossible to clearly speak about the symptoms of a lactational crisis. Increased appetite due to stress, improper care - the norm for infants.
WHO says that the minimum weight gain per week is 113g.
Problems of the first month
A lactation crisis at 1 month happens because the first jump in the development of the sense organs occurs. The child begins to notice that everything is unfamiliar to him.
For this reason, the baby behaves restlessly, often crying, and strive for bodily connection with the nursing mother.
Such changes are unusual for women, they are overcome by fear and uncertainty in their actions.
Trying to find the cause of anxiety of their offspring, they check if the baby does not want to eat, if it has wet diapers, and if something else bothers him. Many people think that the crumb is hungry, but there is not enough milk.
However, this behavior does not go beyond the normal range. With a jump in development, the child associates the breast with comfort and affection, therefore it requires it most of the time.
Many women do not know this, doubting the sufficiency of milk. They are interested in the answer to the question of what to do in a lactational crisis.
HBG specialists advise to continue feeding and give baby food to eat as often as necessary. More on feeding on demand >>>
In bodily relationships, babies calm down, feel protected. We must remember that a crisis is a stress for both, during which a woman and a child should be together.
A jump in the development of a 3 month old baby
В этом возрасте ГВ уже налажено, но дитя может начать беспокойно вести себя у груди, висеть на ней или вовсе станет отказываться, отвлекаясь на что-либо.
Всё потому что к 3 месяцам малютка начинает активно интересоваться окружающим миром, появляется много других интересных занятий.
Нужно обратить внимание на засыпание ребенка. Лучше делать это с грудью, а не с соской. Otherwise, the production of natural food will fall from insufficient stimulation.
Seeing a refusal, you can not throw GW. It is necessary to offer to eat day and night, without forcing the crumb to suck through the force. Sooner or later, the child gets hungry and wants milk.
Whims should be endured, soothing your baby with strokes, affectionate talk, entertainment and walks. But it is not worth overprotecting.
The lactation crisis at 3 months can be related to the fact that children lack freedom when there is so much interesting around. Sometimes the baby just needs to lie in bed or on a developing rug, watch others or look at rattles. The baby is bored and will suck more milk.
See also my video tutorial on lactation crisis:
How to overcome the crisis?
- Psychological attitude.
The main thing is not to worry and remember that everything is normal with the health of the baby, lactation is sufficient. Dissatisfaction with the amount of milk will provoke in the child active actions in the form of careful sucking.
To get a positive experience from the crisis, you may need the support of a nursing mother, but in the end the crumb will achieve his goal. It must be remembered that anxiety can exacerbate the problem, interfering with the production of natural food.
- Improving the quality of life.
When are lactation crises? Most often occur with fatigue, lack of time and bad mood. We need a full sleep, for this nursing mother should rest with the baby during the day.
It is worth freeing yourself at the time of crisis from household duties, such as cleaning, cooking, using the help of household chores. Time should be devoted to the child, putting it on the chest on demand.
To lactation was successful, sometimes you should be distracted from the daily routine. This could be a meeting with a friend, going to the movies. Lactation depends on the mood and well-being of women.
- Physical stimulation.
Massage will calm the nervous system, strengthen the health of nursing mothers. Due to stimulation of blood circulation, lactation will increase. Useful exercises for the collar and chest muscles. No need to put a lot of effort, light strokes are fine. Read more about massage >>>
- Drinking regime and food.
Nutrition nursing mothers - an important aspect in the stimulation of lactation. The diet should contain a lot of protein and be high in calories. Lactation crisis should consume more hot drinks than usual.
It can be compotes, teas with the addition of milk. Do not forget that with HB should drink about 2.5 liters of liquid, even if the lactational crisis did not occur.
- Increase the number of applications.
Attaching the baby should be on demand. In some cases, even in a circle to both mammary glands, if the breast looks empty. When the crumb cries you need to distract him, console him, play with him, and then offer him food again.
Do not panic to feed the mixture. Most often, the lactation crisis has a short time, the child does not remain hungry, and through his efforts can help resolve the situation.
Supplementation can aggravate lactation, harm digestion and provoke allergies.
- Night feeding.
It is at this time that hormones that stimulate lactation are produced (prolactin and oxytocin). Breastfeeding mother is familiar with the feeling of fullness of the breasts in the morning due to tide.
A positive effect on milk production is joint sleep and body contact. Feeding at night will help establish lactation in the first days of life and restore it during a lactation crisis without using medications and other means.
Every woman should remember that breast milk is indispensable for a baby and that only a nursing mother can provide her child with this healthy food. If you make the maximum amount of effort for this, then everything will definitely work out.
If you feel confused, tune in to stress and failure, then the lactational crisis will still overtake. Many unconsciously fear that lactation will ruin the shape of the breast.
In fact, changes in the mammary glands occur even during pregnancy, the rejection of HB will not improve the situation. Read more about breast restoration after feeding >>>
In the period of carrying a baby, it is necessary to find out what difficulties can be expected, but not to be constantly afraid of them.
Lactation crisis is a natural phenomenon. A nursing mother has her own natural resources to overcome this problem and continue to please herself and her baby with the help of GW.
Symptoms inherent in lactational crisis
The onset of lactic crisis is accompanied by certain signs:
- The baby often requires to eat, it becomes nervous, whiny.
- Feeding time increased.
- The intervals between feedings have been reduced.
- There is a feeling of emptiness of the mammary glands.
But even the emptiness in the chest does not indicate the onset of a crisis, perhaps the baby just needed more food. Increased appetite - the norm for infants.
There is a crisis for natural reasons and you should not be afraid of them:
- Associated with the spasmodic development of the child. Baby grows and requires more milk. And the mother's body did not have time to restructure. It takes several days to increase the volume of milk.
- The mother’s lack of a full and balanced diet.
- Fatigue and lack of sleep.
Periods and terms of the crisis
The time of occurrence and periods of the duration of the crisis of breastfeeding by month are strictly individual. Do not wait or worry that he will come. This will aggravate the situation.
Standard distinguish crisis of the first, 3 months, 4 months and 6 months. The agitated mother is tormented by the question: how long can a lactation crisis last? As a rule, it has a short period, about 3–7 days. With proper organization of the regime, it passes quickly.
3–7 days - the duration of the crisis.
Lactation crisis in the first month
This is an important month in the life of a baby. There is a shift in the development of sensory perception, the child is already familiar with something. Lactation crisis may occur in 1 month.
At such moments, the child may behave restlessly, needs something familiar - in the close presence of the mother. With such anxiety of the baby, mommy can experience mixed feelings of misunderstanding and fear, worry: whether the baby has enough food, is he hungry or something else bothers him.
But the baby, when applied to the breast, calms down, so it may require more than normal. But many in such cases begin to think that a period of lactation crisis has arrived, if the baby often requires a breast, it means that it does not eat enough. Experts advise to put the baby to the chest as required. A close relationship between mother and baby is established, and if there are no other irritating factors, he calms down.
Crisis in the third month
Milk crisis can occur in 3 months. It would seem that milk production has improved, the cramps in the tummy have passed, everything is fine. But the child is characterized by a certain leap in development, he is already sensible and with interest perceives the surrounding objects and people. A breastfeeding crisis may occur at precisely 3 months.
In the process of feeding the baby may refuse, being distracted by extraneous movements, hang on his chest. During this period, it is desirable that the child fall asleep at the breast, this will stimulate the production of natural food.
The child should be allowed to learn as much as possible, to consider that he is tired, bored and eagerly eaten. With the observance of all the rules, a lactation crisis of 3 months will pass painlessly for both mother and child.
Crisis in the fourth month of development
The crisis at this stage in the development of a child is similar to a lactation crisis of 3 months. It all depends on the individual periods of growth of the child. Certain jumps in development, weight gain requires an increase in the amount of nutrition.
With proper observance of the daily routine of her and the baby, the mother will quickly and without excitement cope with the shortage of milk.
Lactation crisis in the sixth month
The half year old child demands more and more attention in the matter of feeding and communication. Therefore, the nature of lactation crisis in 6 months is also different. At this stage of development, the child needs additional nutrients.
There are signs to determine if a baby on the HB is needed to supplement food: the weight has more than doubled, the child is naughty and constantly asks for food. Lure is introduced, in a sitting position with the help of an adult. It starts with five grams, and gradually the volume increases.
Each lure must be added by breast feeding.
Do not reduce the number of attachments to the chest. Do not switch to artificial mixtures. Wait for time and milk production will be restored. At the same time it is necessary to follow certain rules for stimulating lactation, developed for periods of lactation crisis.
The main rule is not to worry. Remember that if the baby's health is in order - everything is fine. Lactation is sufficient.
Breastfeeding milk crises are short-lived phenomena. And the lack will be stimulus of the strengthened sucking, therefore, there will be a good production of milk. Do not forget that the alarming state of the mother can affect the child and aggravate the problem.
Observing the daily regimen and improving the life of a nursing mother
Milk crises are a consequence of irrational or improper treatment in a nursing mother. Frequent lack of sleep, fatigue, feelings and bad mood are a direct consequence of the crisis.
- concentrate on the daily routine for yourself and the baby,
- regular full sleep. It is advisable to postpone all the cases and sleep a little while the baby is sleeping,
- if there is an opportunity, to attract relatives to help with the household,
- to apply the child on the first request to the chest. The more the baby eats, the more milk it produces.
Sometimes for psychological satisfaction and elevation of mood it is necessary to arrange an interesting walk or meeting.
To calm the nervous system, stimulate blood circulation, a massage course is recommended, with the result that lactation also increases.
Recommended exercises in the chest and neck. Even light massaging strokes are enough to smooth out the symptoms of the milk crisis during breastfeeding.
Some help warm procedures. They are recommended for pronounced deficiency.
Warm, relaxing baths will improve blood circulation and promote lactation.
You can also practice warm wrapping. Wrap your breasts with a warm towel before feeding.
A very important factor in the regime of the mother during the milk crisis during breastfeeding to stimulate lactation is a proper, balanced diet and heavy drinking.
Meals should be varied, high-calorie, contain a lot of protein foods at least five times a day. Since the baby can often wake up for night feeding, it is advisable to drink more nutrient at night. It can be tea with milk, compotes.
But the choice of food should be approached carefully so as not to cause an allergic reaction in the child. There are natural stimulants of lactation: carrot juice with milk or cream, decoction of anise seeds, tea from anise, fennel and oregano, decoction of cumin seeds.
Increasing the number of attachments
Applying a baby to the breast as needed is the first rule of lactation stimulation. It is recommended even to give both breasts, but to apply to the second, only when the first is completely empty. Do not resort to the help of mixtures. The crisis has short periods, and the child is accustomed to mixtures.
There are cases that children even refuse to breast. Sucking a bottle is easier than working with the breast. The baby will be longer fed, less likely to require breast - lactation will decrease. Therefore, complementary foods can aggravate the lactation problem.
Night feeding is a period of intensive production of the hormones prolactin and oxytocin, which directly stimulate lactation. In the morning every mother knows the feeling of a full breast. A good result gives a dream together and frequent feeding of the child at night. It is nightly attachment that helps to solve the problem without medical intervention.
What not to do during lactic crisis
The basic rules of what not to do mom during the crisis when breastfeeding:
- Nervous, worry.
- To carry out self-pumping. It is enough that the baby empties the breast itself.
- Feed by artificial nutrition, even if the baby looks hungry. Distract it, and then once again attach to the chest.
- If carried out prikorm, only from a spoon. Bottle is strictly prohibited. A crumb can refuse to suck the breast.
Breast milk is an indispensable product for a child, and it is a nursing mother who can give it to her child. But for this you need to know the principles of proper feeding and stick to them. If you wish, everything will be fine. Lactation crises are a natural phenomenon, but any mother can cope with this problem on her own.
And how do you cope with the lactation crisis? Share in the comments.
What is mature lactation and how is it related to HBs crises
Mature lactation is the period when milk in a woman is formed not due to hormones, but in response to breast stimulation by a child. The breast is soft, and the milk comes only directly during feeding. Stock in it is no more. Terms of establishing mature lactation during breastfeeding are different for everyone. In some women, mature lactation is established as early as the third week of feeding, but still it happens more often in the third or fourth month.
When artificially adjusting the amount of milk, for example, by decanting, such a self-regulating system may not be formed at all. When this occurs, the deterioration of the immune properties of milk. But it is easy to stop breastfeeding. It is enough to gradually reduce the number of pumping, and then feedings.
Mature lactation can proceed absolutely calmly, and can be accompanied by temporary crises, i.e. a decrease in the amount of milk for a short time, usually a maximum of 3-7 days (usually 2-3 days). But it is impossible to stop it spontaneously without consequences for the mother’s health. It itself ends with a process of natural involution. The amount of milk decreases, while the set of antibodies approaches the colostrum and, finally, completely disappears. Usually by this time the child already eats the usual food.
Lactation crisis is a temporary decrease in the amount of milk during steady-state lactation. Most often, crises with GV occur at about 3-6 weeks, and then at 3, 6, and 12 months. But there may be deviations. And some women manage to feed the child without feeling any crises at all.
Symptoms of lactation crisis:
- The baby literally hangs on the chest, is applied more often and sucks longer.
- Baby crying and nervous on his chest. Crying obviously hungry. It is seen that the child lacks food, no matter how much he sucks.
- The mother has a feeling that the chest is not filling.
The child grew up, he was already three months old. It seems that breastfeeding has improved, and the colic has passed, and the mother has already adapted to the baby - here she would live and enjoy. But suddenly, the baby starts to worry at the breast: crying, twisting her legs, throwing the nipple. Or, on the contrary, it constantly hangs at the breast, not giving mom a minute of rest.
The fact is that at this age the child has an interest in the world around him, and as a result, the nature of food changes. The baby ceases to be attached to the chest during wakefulness, and sucks around the daytime dreams and at night. This is absolutely normal, and trying to force the baby to suck when he does not want it is not necessary.
But in such a situation, it is necessary to pay attention to the moment the child falls asleep. If he is used to doing it with a pacifier, then it is better to change the nipple to the chest. Otherwise, the baby may actually stop losing power. Moreover, due to the fact that the child will suck less milk, its amount can, indeed, decrease.
There is also another, at first glance, not obvious, reason for refusal of the breast. Sometimes mothers take care of children in such a way, almost without removing them from their hands, that the child begins to suffer from it. He lacks freedom. The baby sometimes needs to lie down alone in the crib, watch the mother from the side, look at the hanging toys, so that later she will be happy to find herself on her mother's arms at the warm breast with a tasty milk.
- Accelerated growth (growth jump) of a child at certain periods of time. A baby's need for food increases dramatically due to intensive growth or with mastering skills that increase physical activity. The child sleeps less, learns to crawl, and then walk. And he, of course, needs more food. But the mother's body can not so quickly adapt to the increasing needs of the son or daughter. Milk does not become less, but it seems to mother that everything is just like that. And you just need to give the body time, gradually and rather quickly, the food will be exactly as much as the child needs.
- Fatigue and bad mood nursing mom. With the birth of a child, a woman’s life changes greatly. And no matter how he is beloved and long-awaited, life, which revolves only around the child and at home, does not contribute to a good mood. Долгие месяцы рутины, недосыпания, отсутствия общения приводят к апатии и даже депрессии. Женщины сами себя не узнают. Такое состояние плохо сказывается на грудном вскармливании.
- Ошибки в организации кормления, например, редкие кормления, использование пустышки, отсутствие утренних прикладываний. Dr. Komarovsky tells very well about the rules of breastfeeding.
- People sometimes associate lactation vibrations in women with phases of the moon. This view has nothing to do with official medicine. But ... Why not. After all, an increase in the number of births in the full moon is a well-known fact.
First, you need to calm down. If mom does not do anything stupid, then the milk will not go anywhere. Lactation crisis is absolutely normal. And the nervous state of the mother does not increase the amount of milk. But mistakes in this state can be a lot.
Very important! The child does not need to be fed. A full-term and not a newborn baby for a long time may well get away with a smaller amount of food for several days. Lactation crisis often lasts from 1 to 3 days, much less often up to a week.
But to make a child an artificial artist, having unreasonably introduced supplemental nutrition, it is easy. After all, supplementation from the bottle reduces the quantity and quality of attachments. The chest does not receive sufficient stimulation. And the amount of milk is actually decreasing. In addition, the introduction of artificial mixtures in the nutrition of the child can lead to allergies and problems with the tummy. Especially when the mixture is injected abruptly.
If the lactation process is adjusted correctly, then you can do nothing at all, the amount of milk itself will increase in accordance with the needs of the child. But mom is unlikely to be able to do nothing, holding a child crying in hunger. Therefore, you can take the following actions:
- Increase the number of breast attachments during the day.
- Increase the number of night feedings. Be sure to feed in the dawn hours. At this time, the maximum amount of hormones responsible for lactation is produced: prolactin and oxytocin.
- Get enough sleep. Mom may wonder how this is possible if you need to wake up and feed at night. We'll have some time to sleep in the afternoon with the child. And at home you need to ask for help husband or mother. The crisis does not last long, and nothing bad will happen to the farm in 2-3 days.
- Relax. Transfer cases for a couple of days to relatives and arrange a weekend. You can devote them to fully communicate with the baby. And you can arrange a holiday and leave home for a couple of hours: sit in a cafe with a girlfriend, go to a hairdresser or a beauty salon. Positive emotions distract from anxiety and elevate mood.
- Pay attention to your diet. A nursing mother should eat 5 times a day. Meals should be complete. Usually the woman herself notices that some products have a positive effect on the amount of breast milk. That's about them, and it should be remembered during the lactational crisis. Fluid should also be sufficient, at least two liters per day.
- Immediately before feeding, you can do a light massage of the breast and place a diaper heated on the chest or on the battery. Baby will be easier to suck.
It is called the Moll method. Temperatures under the mammary gland and in the armpit are compared. If the lactation process is quite intensive, then the temperature under the breast will be about 0.5-1 degrees higher.
Lactation crisis is not a tragedy. It is completely surmountable with proper breastfeeding.