As long as the breastfeeding process is not regulated, women after childbirth face the problem of milk leakage. Clothing, bedding are soiled, discomfort is constantly felt, and trips to public places can turn into an embarrassment. And to be upset by nursing mothers is contraindicated ... Special inserts in the bra have become a real boon in saving clothes and gaining confidence. Which inserts are better - disposable or reusable, and what are gel pads for nursing mothers?
Types of bra inserts
Of all breast liners on the market today, there are two categories: disposable and reusable pads. More convenient to use disposable, but in financial terms it is better to use them together with reusable ones.
Disposable gel pads quickly absorb and hold moisture for 3–5 hours inside; they are hardly noticeable under clothes due to their anatomical shape, which repeats the shape of the breast. The outer coating of such liners is breathable and waterproof, some manufacturers supply it with adhesive tape for a secure fit.
The great advantage of disposable gel liners over reusable - dry surface in contact with the skin. Due to this nipples do not experience increased friction, causing skin damage. Reduces the risk of penetration into the mammary gland of pathogenic bacteria, so loving a warm and humid environment.
A wide selection of disposable gel liners for the breast are popular brand Babyline (Germany) 60 pcs. from 430r, Mama Comfort (Russia) 30 pcs. from 250 rubles, Midinette from the manufacturer Delipap OY (Finland) 30 pieces from 300 rubles, Pigeon (Japan) 36 pieces. from 430 rubles, Moony (Japan) 68 pcs. from 500 rub, Medela (Switzerland) 60 pcs. from 500 rub. Prices as of March 2016.
In the period of formation of breastfeeding disposable pads, it may take a lot - 3-4 pairs per day, that is, a pack of 30 pieces will last a maximum of a week. For short walks with the child and at home, you can use reusable inserts.
They also have an anatomical shape, suitable for any breast shape and invisible under clothing. Some manufacturers offer a choice of liners for nursing mothers under the color of the bra. Microfiber, bamboo and cotton fibers are used as the inner absorbent layer.
The big advantage of reusable inserts is to save the family budget. The package usually contains 4 pieces, they can withstand up to 50 washes.
The disadvantages include: a feeling of moisture and discomfort, leakage with long wear without a shift, the risk of bacterial infection, damage to the skin of the nipples.
But if they are changed in a timely manner, then in combination with disposable inserts, the use of reusable is economically feasible. At night in the first month - two after childbirth it is better to use disposable gel pads.
Popular brands of reusable inserts - Medela (Switzerland) from 530 rubles. per package (protection enhanced by impregnation with antibacterial composition), Gloryes (Russia) from 500 rubles, Avent (China under license from Philips) 6 pcs. from 700 rub.
Why is milk leaking and how long will it last?
As our mothers and grandmothers used to say - milk flows from the breast, because weak nipples. And it was also added as a joke that with such a defect milk cows were not kept, but taken to the slaughterhouse. But women are not cows and slaughterhouses do not deserve. And yet the members of the family, wise with life experience, are to some extent right.
What do you mean - weak nipples and can they be made strong? Under the skin of the areola - a dark circle around the nipple, muscle fibers are located. When they contract and the nipple sticks out, the so-called nipple erection occurs, which, unlike the erection of the clitoris, is not associated with the blood circulation.
Spasm of the nipple muscles respond to cold and other external stimuli. Thus, the protective function of the mammary glands from hypothermia and other adverse factors. What happens to these muscle fibers during breastfeeding? The same as with the abdominal muscles during pregnancy.
In the first months of feeding, the breast becomes very full, the muscles experience pressure, stretch and weaken, becoming unable to keep spontaneously released milk from the chest alveoli. The spontaneity of filling and separating milk from the breast occurs for the following reasons:
1. Tides in the period of formation of lactation. The maternal organism does not yet know how much food a newborn needs. The baby has the first month - two after childbirth confused day and night; the sleep and wakefulness setting is in progress; the mechanism of the internal biological clock starts.
When and how much breast milk it will need during this difficult period of adaptation to the outside world is difficult to predict. Therefore, it happens that too much milk is produced, “in reserve” and for every unpredictable event, which is characterized by a feeling of hot flushes and chest distention. The excess requires an exit, and unclaimed milk begins to flow.
Tides usually stop one month after the baby is born, with the advent of sensitive interaction between mother and baby and the onset of the monitored sleep-wake-hunger-saturation rhythm. Sometimes the period of non-logic tides can take up to 2-3 months.
Fully lactation is set at all differently for 6 months, when the tides completely disappear, the breast is always soft and the milk comes during nursing, following the principle "demand creates supply."
All the time of the formation of lactation, milk can leak when the alveoli of the mammary gland are overcrowded and cannot be dispensed with.
2. Reflex milk excretion. There are many nerve endings in the nipple, and when stimulated by sucking, nerve impulses are transmitted to the brain. The synthesis of the hormone oxytocin starts. It in turn causes contractions of the smooth muscle cells lining the surface of the alveoli of the mammary gland and the milk is literally pushed into the milk ducts towards the nipple.
Therefore, when the baby sucks one breast, milk begins to leak from the second breast. The same thing happens if a nursing mother hears a baby crying, just thinks about him or looks at his photo. Such a reflex selection can last long enough, even after the establishment of lactation, depending on the development of imagination, the impressionability of the mother and the "weakness" of the nipples.
With steady breastfeeding, such leaks are minor and sometimes do not even require the use of inserts in the bra, if it is made of natural, not synthetic materials. Such a phenomenon usually disappears completely within a year after the birth of the child.
How to strengthen the nipples
The so-called “weak” nipples are not only incapable of retaining the excreted milk, but also bring many aesthetic mothers aesthetic discomfort. When the muscle tone is stretched and weakened in the area of the nipple of the areola, it “disperses”, the skin becomes thin and inelastic, and the nipple collapses when it is pressed, losing its elasticity.
With prolonged breastfeeding, nipple sensitivity is also lost, which adversely affects intimate life. Exercise these muscles, of course, is impossible. But it is possible to return the former elasticity and reduce the size of the areola, stimulating the reduction of these muscle fibers and thereby reducing the period of the need for bra inserts.
In the first few months, such stimulation is not recommended, as the effect on the skin of the nipples reflexively starts the synthesis of oxytocin. In the recovery period after giving birth, this process can proceed quite rapidly, and the leakage of milk will become even stronger. After this time, you can use to stimulate nipple contraction:
- douche, aimed at the nipple and areola for a short time, so as not to overcool the chest, you need to finish it with cold water,
- applying a piece of ice to the nipples also for a short period of time,
- rubbing the breast and skin around the nipple with a towel
- Massage the hair and the nipple.
What pads in a bra for nursing mothers better, hard to say. It all depends on what purpose, where and when the nursing mother plans to use them. The most optimal option is reusable inserts at home and on short walks, and disposable gel pads for the night and at the “appearance”. The need for inserts in the 1-2 months of breastfeeding is especially great, after which only reusable pads can be used. Milk ceases to leak completely within half a year, and in insignificant volumes reflex excretion in the form of droplets can occur for about a year.
What is the cause of milk leakage?
Milk leakage is a completely normal situation, especially if the first birth. When a baby is attached to the breast, the blood is saturated with the hormone oxytocin, which is responsible for the production of milk, so milk can also be released from the breast that is not used during the next feeding (milk leaks often occur between feedings). You can try to cope with this, squeezing the nipple for half a minute (minute).
Breastfeeding Layer Layer Structure
Many mummies are not familiar with this situation, and not at all due to their lack of milk. Why is this happening? The fact is that the force of compression of the walls of the milk ducts in their nipple is sufficient to prevent leakage in a timely manner.
In order to protect clothes from moisture during breastfeeding, you can use the pads in the bra - industrial products or flaps of delicate fabric. Various materials are used for their production - special synthetic fibers, natural fabrics and, imagine, silicone.
What are the pads?
The selection of such products is currently very rich. All existing inserts used in breastfeeding are divided into two types:
Regarding ease of operation, of course, the first view is better. From the point of view of profitability, it is advisable to combine them with reusable ones.
They are divided into groups depending on the absorbent layer. When using fluff pulp, on the one hand there will be a barrier to milk in the form of a waterproof film. Disposable gel pads are characterized by a high rate of absorption of fluid, keep it for 3-5 hours, do not guess under clothing because of the anatomical fit of the breast.
Gaskets for single use in nursing mothers
With this type of liner (compared to the second type), the chances of keeping the clothes dry and clean, even when the milk suddenly flows, increase. Their design provides a special velcro for holding in a bra. The outer coating of such products is waterproof and at the same time does not interfere with air exchange.
The presence of a waterproof layer has a downside. This kind of liners (although there is protection against leakage) can be used for a short time and they need to be updated at least once every 1-2 hours (if there is a lot of milk, then more often).
Laying in a bra with a silicone layer in this respect is safer and the skin does not come into contact with moisture, however, because of this, women do not recall the need to change them. Anyway, you need to remember about the need for air baths for the chest every time you take off the used liners for nursing mothers, this is especially true during the formation of lactation, when the breast adapts to the feeding.
Assortment and use
A wide range of disposable gel pads for the chest have famous brands:
- Babyline (Germany) 60 pcs. from 430 rubles,
- Mama Comfort (Russia) 30 pcs. from 250 rubles,
- Midinette from the manufacturer Delipap OY (Finland) 30 pcs. from 300 rubles,
- Pigeon (Japan) 36 pcs. from 430 rubles,
- Moony (Japan) 68 pcs. from 500 rubles,
- Medela (Switzerland) 30 pcs. from 500 rub.
The first time after delivery, disposable pads may be necessary for 3-4 pairs per day, so a pack of 30 pieces will be enough for a week. At the time of short walks with the baby and when a woman at home can be used and reusable.
Such pads for nursing mothers can save money (as they carry out multiple automatic washing without reducing the absorption properties), they are eco-friendly (they are made of natural materials and are pleasant to the skin), the fabric does not trap air, respectively - the skin of the nipples “breathes”. It is important that they allow you to save the family budget. Packing such liners usually consists of 4 pieces, which are designed for 50 washes, which makes such an acquisition profitable.
This type of liner can only absorb up to 40 ml of liquid. If the milk suddenly runs in a stream, then spots may appear on the clothes in the chest area. Such liners do not have a waterproof layer (although this has a positive effect on the skin of the nipple) and velcro for fastening in a bra. There is a possibility of bacterial infection, nipple skin injuries.
Use and range
It is fully justified with the timely replacement of the use of complete with disposable inserts reusable.
At night, the first couple of months after the birth of the baby outside the feedings, it is desirable to use disposable gel pads.
Famous brands of reusable inserts: Medela (Switzerland) at Price from 530 rubles. per set (impregnated with antibacterial composition, which enhances protection), Gloryes (Russia) from 500 rubles, Avent (China under license from Philips) 6 pcs. from 700 rub.
What are breast pads?
Such special liners under the bra, which are able to quickly absorb milk (or other moisture), are called breast pads. They are also called absorbent pads or lactation liners. They not only cope with the main purpose - the absorption of fluid, but also maintain hygiene on the surface of the breast.
The special relevance of the use of liners falls on the first months after the start of feeding, when the lactation is still not established. After developing the mode and volume of milk for feeding, the need for breast pads disappears. Also in the first months of adaptation of the nipple to feeding, breast pads contribute to more rapid healing of cracks in them.
Special inserts are disposable and reusable. Both those, and others have the round anatomic form, protect clothes from milk smudges. At this their similarity ends.
For the convenience of nursing moms, disposable liners often have one adhesive side for attachment to the bra. A reusable - rough to avoid slipping on linen. But often the products from different manufacturers are radically different.
Refillable liners can be used repeatedly, but they require a certain care for them: timely replacement, washing, drying. With reusable more hassle than with disposable, but if you count waste, they are much more profitable.
Different manufacturers see the end product in their own way, so they have different approaches to the production of liners. The material is also used different.
- bamboo (resistant to frequent washings, minimize the development of microorganisms inside the material, poorly and little absorbed),
- cotton (absorb a small amount of liquid, you need to change frequently),
- membrane (any material in contact with skin is used, but the outer layer is a polyurethane membrane that prevents moisture from seeping into the laundry),
- silicone (lining for collecting the flowing milk),
- multilayered (cotton, polyester, viscose, cellulose, bamboo fabric, etc. are present among absorbing balls).
Complete with reusable inserts usually come with nets for washing in a washing machine. Means for washing are chosen without phosphates, and the temperature regime should not exceed 60 degrees (for many manufacturers altogether 40).
Among disposable liners
Undoubtedly, disposable pads are comfortable to wear. They can be firmly attached to the bra and are not afraid of a shift. And most importantly - after changing the gasket, you can simply throw it away. To choose the right liners, it is necessary to take into account many nuances.
- The degree of absorption. On the packaging, the manufacturer indicates the degree of absorption (indicated by droplets).
1 drop - for a small flow rate,
2 drop - with abundant loss of milk,
3 and 4 drops - for intensive milk leakage, suitable for mothers for day and night wear.
- The size. It is necessary to take into account the diameter of the product. As a rule, it is 12-13 cm. But some manufacturers take into account the size of the breast and produce liners with a larger diameter. It is recommended to change the liners after each breastfeeding.
- The form. Breast form in nursing women is different. Therefore, it is important to choose a comfortable form for wearing, so that it repeats the anatomical features of the breast. Incorrectly chosen pads according to this criterion may leak moisture on clothing. Прогрессивные производители выпускают прокладки с возможностью выбора глубины посадки.
- Материал. Рынок популярных прокладок в этом плане однообразен. The use of natural and synthetic materials allows mothers to choose their best option. The following materials are often found.
Cotton Liners are common among nursing moms. They are hygroscopic, able to retain a sufficient amount of moisture (up to 50 g). Suitable for mothers who do not have big problems with the flow of milk. When the liner overflows, it is possible that excess can flow to linen and clothing.
Cellulose, viscose also perfectly absorb moisture (up to 50 g). The advantage over cotton is that when filling the liner, it remains almost dry when in contact with the skin. Overflow is possible. Suitable for spontaneous leakage of milk of varying degrees.
Gel pads they do not differ from the previous ones in the rate of absorption, and the amount of liquid can hold much more - up to 75 g. The gel filler holds moisture well and does not allow it to flow out. The inner side remains dry and does not irritate the skin. Such inserts are suitable for mothers who have a large amount of milk.
- Packaging. For home use, disposable liners are suitable, which are sold simply in a cardboard box. For active moms who are not sitting at home, the hygienic solution would be to purchase gaskets in individual packaging.
Along the edges of the gasket, there must be a pressed contour so that the sudden tides of milk and its overflow do not wet the clothes.
To ensure uninterrupted use of liners, you need at least three pairs. The more pairs used, the less nursing mom will do the laundry and pay more attention to herself or the baby.
The speed and ability of absorption in reusable devices is slightly lower than in disposable ones. The amount of fluid that can be inside the product is not more than 40 g.
To select the optimal reusable earbuds, you should pay attention to the following indicators:
- The material used. Basically - it is textiles. When choosing a material (which is indicated on the package), it is worth considering only personal preferences. But pay attention to the surface, which will be adjacent to the body, still worth it. The material should be soft to the touch. Not only wearing comfort depends on this, but also the condition of the nipples during breastfeeding.
- The convenience of use. Reusable pads, unfortunately, do not have any attachments to underwear. If the mother is at rest, this is not a problem. But for active moms you should choose those whose external part has at least some roughness. For example, it may be guipure. It has bumps and can at least a little prevent slipping.
- The frequency of washing. An infinite number of times will not work. Each tab has its own "limit". Modern liners can be washed about 50 times. If the package shows a smaller number of washes, then you should think about the efficiency of such a purchase.
- Outer layer It should be at least with a hint of moisture impermeability. On the packaging of the product is usually indicated, but the main thing is that the liners still have the ability to pass air and allow the skin to breathe.
Breast feeding involves active work of the mammary glands. The moment when the milk starts to leak, it is impossible to predict. This is especially elusive when milk begins to arrive after delivery. It is optimal to immediately purchase at least one pair of such gaskets and use them as a safety net.
What inserts to buy is a private affair of each woman. But it is easier to do this when you know in advance the best manufacturers of these products.
An example of the structure of disposable breast pads
What are breastfeeding pads?
After childbirth, and in some women even before their onset, the body intensively begins to produce breast milk. This is characterized by swelling of the mammary glands, wet white secretions appear from the nipples, which stain laundry and cause discomfort, and when visiting public places they cause a lot of problems.
To save young mothers from such distress, the modern industry began to produce special pads for breastfeeding, which are placed inside the bra in the form of inserts.
Breastfeeding pads are convenient because:
- tight to the mammary glands,
- ideally repeat the shape of the breast,
- well absorb secretions
- inserts are inconspicuous under clothing,
- become indispensable when visiting a hospital, on trips and during a walk.
Types of gaskets
For nursing mothers, there are more than 50 brands of absorbent pads, but all of them can be divided into three main types - disposable (gel), reusable (tissue) and silicone.
Now we will try to understand the advantages of each type.
Disposable pads more like ordinary gynecological pads, they are easy to use and appreciated by young moms for such qualities:
- well absorb liquid
- keep the milk for 3-5 hours
- have a breathable and waterproof surface
- the surface adjacent to the chest always remains dry,
- Some liners, for reliable fixation, have adhesive tape.
High-quality absorbent and delicate surface create a comfortable environment for sensitive nipples and breast skin. Dry surface prevents the appearance and reproduction of microorganisms and promotes rapid healing of wounds on the nipples.
At the initial stages of breastfeeding, up to 3-4 pairs of pads are needed per day, so a pack of 30 pieces will last for about two weeks. For the family budget disposable pads are not quite economical option.
When purchasing disposable pads, you should pay attention to the presence of individual packaging for each liner - it is unacceptable that they just "lay" in the box! Remember that in the first days of an infant's life, breast hygiene is very important for the health of the newly-made mother and her baby. Absorbent absorbent must hold up to 60 ml of moisture.
Disposable liners in a wide range are presented by the following brands:
- Babyline (Germany) 60 pcs. from 460 rubles,
- Mama Comfort (Russia) 30 pcs. from 270 rubles,
- Midinette from the manufacturer Delipap OY (Finland) 30 pcs. from 340 rubles,
- Pigeon (Japan) 36 pcs. from 450 rubles,
- Moony (Japan) 68 pcs. from 530 rubles,
- Medela (Switzerland) 60 pcs. from 530 rubles.
The average price is as of May 2017.
Gaskets reusable convenient because they can be washed. Some manufacturers produce liners of different colors, it gives the opportunity to use them in the color of linen. Absorbent material is used for the inner surface: for example, flannel, bamboo, microfiber and cotton. On average, 4 liners are sold per package, so for the family budget this option is more optimal.
Reusable pads are made from natural fabrics, they protect the chest from hypothermia, antiallergenic, more economical, they can be washed up to 50 times.
The main disadvantages of using these pads:
- because of the humidity there is discomfort,
- due to a late shift, the gasket may leak,
- a wet environment increases the risk of a bacterial infection,
- nipple skin is rubbed, cracks are poorly healed.
Popular brands of reusable liners are:
- Medela (Switzerland) from 550 rub. for packaging (protection enhanced by impregnation with antibacterial composition),
- Gloryes (Russia) from 500 rub.,
- Avent (China under license from Philips) 6 pcs. from 750 rubles.
Silicone pads tight to the chest and help mom to collect excess milk, and later feed them a baby. This type of liner is easily hygienically processed and is indispensable for those women who have a slight lactation. Not bad proven lining Philips Avent.
Mothers - needlewomen can sew a lot of pads with their own hands from fleece and flannelki. This option is very economical for the family budget and pleasant for the woman herself.
For emergency cases, practical mothers recommend the use of gynecological pads.
Possible complications from using low quality gaskets
Women's skin is very sensitive, especially when it comes to the mammary glands during lactation. For its hygiene and comfort needed liners made of breathable and natural material. In pursuit of the low cost of goods, the manufacturer is trying to reduce the cost of goods and uses for the manufacture of liners synthetic and polyester, not allowing full "breathe" sensitive skin.
If you have diaper rash, rash, redness, spots and swelling, then it is better to refuse such gaskets. It is necessary to be careful when using color products, low-quality dyes together with villi can get into the infant’s immature body and cause an allergic reaction.
Breastfeeding pads are easy to use, but we would like to draw your attention to some of the nuances:
- Disposable liners are removed from the individual packaging and fixed inside the bra. As they are filled (each mommy has a different intensity of excretion of milk from the glands), they need to be changed. Disposable pads are not washable or dry.
- The reusable linings are washed with baby soap or powder, to soften the fabric, you can rinse them in a fabric softener, then dry the product, iron and use it.
- Silicone pads after use must be washed with baby soap and dry.
Proper use of hygienic liners contributes to the rapid healing, and subsequently to the prevention of cracks in the nipples, and most importantly - the constant maintenance of hygiene of the mammary glands.
What are breastfeeding pads better?
After reviewing the varieties of liners, many of you have thought about which one to give your preference to.
In the first month of the infant's life, it is better to use disposable pads, which will be especially useful in the hospital. When the nipples get stronger and the cracks disappear, you can go to reusable pads, and even better to combine them. If you want to use the milk surplus to feed the baby, then, as well as possible, silicone pads will do. For the sake of saving the family budget, mothers of needlework can sew for themselves linings made of natural fabrics.
And now we will try to find out and analyze among a variety of brands which ones are better to choose pads for daily use.
Numerous reviews indicate that each woman, depending on the amount of milk produced, finds gaskets most suitable for the individual characteristics of her body. Which ones you choose is up to you. All hygiene products can be purchased at the pharmacy or specialty stores.
Based on the reviews, we will now try to consider some of them and make a small rating in popularity.
- Inserts Avent can be safely put in the first place - yes, they are expensive, but of high quality. Individual packaging allows you to carry the pads all the time with you in the handbag. They have a conical shape, are well absorbed and fixed on linen. The company produces two types of gaskets - day, thinner, and night, which have a larger size and thickness.
- Johnsons Baby pads follow all the contours of the breast, they are invisible under clothing and are made of natural materials, and, therefore, the manifestations of allergic reactions are minimized.
- Liners "Sun and Moon", Nuk (Ultra Dry Comfort) - have fixation, individual packaging, soft breathing surface. When filled with moisture, they are not stratified, easy to use and do not cause discomfort.
- Peligrin pads, Baby Line, SANOSAN - well absorbed, ideal for large secretions of milk, are large, very comfortable for the first days after birth.
- Helen Harper, Bella Mamma, Nuk Classic, Mama Comfort Gaskets for Breastfeeding - we assigned them a low rating. Gaskets have a low price, Velcro, which allows to fix to the linen, a soft surface. Their disadvantage is that they contain synthetic fibers - cellulose, polyethylene and non-woven material.
In our article we tried to tell as much as possible about the purpose of the pads used by women during breastfeeding, their varieties and rules of use.
We hope that our popularity rating, based on reader feedback, will help you make the right choice, save money, and find "your" gaskets.
And what experience in using gaskets do you have, what is your preference for? Share your thoughts.
Why do you need pads when breastfeeding
Breast pads are not a necessary element for a nursing mother. And if a woman does not have an excess of milk and leaks, liners do not need to use. However, in the opposite case, the pads for the bra will become nursing assistants and will relieve from many problems. They perform the following useful functions:
- Protect bra and clothes from getting wet and leaking breast milk,
- Protect breasts and nipples from rubbing underwear
- Prevents mastitis and the occurrence of infections
- Prevent irritation and skin inflammation,
- Prevention of nipple injuries. If the cracks have already appeared, special inserts will accelerate the healing of wounds and prevent the penetration of various infections through them. What else will help with cracks in the nipples, read here.
However, it is important to choose and use gaskets correctly. Savings and improper use will lead to the fact that cracks will not dry out sufficiently, and harmful bacteria are formed in the milk. In addition, liners must be made of quality material. Poor quality products can cause allergies and hurt the breasts.
There are two types of bra inserts for breastfeeding - disposable and reusable. In addition, there are various brands of goods. Let's see which is better to choose.
What are the gaskets and in what cases are they needed?
Absorbent pads in the breastfeeding bra are special lactation liners that absorb mother's milk, leaving the clothes dry. Inside these products is absorbent absorbent filler: soft, gel or non-woven.
The problem of the reflex release of colostrum during pregnancy and the milk of a young mommy, until the lactation process stabilizes, causes serious discomfort. Leakage of colostrum - a thick, sticky liquid with a yellowish tinge can occur several weeks before the crumbs are born. It stands out drops, so you can put a thin protective accessory in the bra cup.
Inserts-pads in the bra for nursing mothers may be relevant from two weeks to 2-3 months. The mammary glands gradually become soft, the leakage of nutrient fluid is reduced and disappears.
Special inserts protect against:
- the appearance of spots associated with reflex excretion of breast milk,
- rubbing tender nipples on a tight cup of bra,
- infection of the breast and the occurrence of mastitis.
The need for the use of gaskets for HB in the hospital warn doctors and experienced mothers. But their number can be individual, depending on the characteristics of lactation. Some mommies say that they used gaskets only on discharge, others advise to stock up more, since the leakage of milk was abundant.
How to use
Lactation liners are very convenient. They have an ergonomic shape of a concave bowl that fits around the chest and saves clothes from the appearance of milky spots. Gaskets are:
- disposable, resembling sanitary pads,
- reusable, manufactured from fabric materials.
For maternity homes it is advisable to buy disposable liners, as they do not require washing.
How to choose
Good, comfortable for the chest, pads should have the following properties:
- Pack 1-2 each in an individual bag so as not to disturb their hygiene, especially in the postpartum period and in the first days of feeding, when cracks and inflammation appear on the nipples. It is better to refuse liners sold in bulk in a box,
- high-quality, hypoallergenic absorbent and a layer adjacent to the chest. Absorbing component must collect and retain moisture inside, the optimal amount of which is 50-60 ml. This will ensure dry breasts, rapid healing of cracks on the nipples and eliminate the reproduction of pathological flora,
- material in contact with the surface of the body, should be gentle to the nipples and not fall down in the form of lumps,
- reliable Velcro, fixing the pad in the bra. This will help avoid rubbing the already irritated skins, as well as greater comfort and lack of "fidgeting"
- the color of the products must be white so that the dye does not cause an allergic reaction or irritation.
In the first days after birth, hygiene, dryness and softness are more appreciated in breast pads. When the amount of milk decreases, the preference is given to the convenience of products.
В рейтинге качественных прокладок для груди присутствуют самые разные производители. Грудь может быть красивой и ухоженной с прокладками торговых марок Philips AVENT и Natracare, BabyLine, Midinette и Dr.Brown’s. Следующая ступенька обзора принадлежит компаниям, которые выпускают продукцию масс-маркет. Value for money can be decisive if you choose: Johnson’s baby, Helen Harper or Angelina-nanny.
Gaskets "Bebiline" regularly enter the top of popular accessories for the chest. The top line in the ranking German inserts occupy the right. Soft disposable products with good absorbing properties protect mommy from getting wet and gently care for skin and nipples. In their composition - cellulose and air-tight, soft material, tested by dermatologists. The price for 60 pieces is 322-385 rubles.
Comfortable breast pads with a physiological shape, soft, do not scratch and do not irritate the skin, well absorb liquid, allow the skin to breathe. Available in non-woven white material without the use of glue. The cost of 30 disposable inserts from Finland can be from 150 to 250 rubles.
Disposable liners Helen Harper (Belgium), soft and comfortable, made of nonwoven fabric using cellulose and polyethylene. Bleached biosafe without the use of harmful substances. There is a sticky strip on the gaskets. Inserts are well absorbed milk, protect the breast from rubbing and the appearance of cracks in the nipples. The price of 30 pads is available, about 165-260 rubles.
The four-layer structure of cotton liners, covered with recycled waterproof film on the outside, with polyester in the composition, allows the skin to breathe and absorb mother's milk as comfortably as possible, leaving the breast dry. There are laying day and night. Anatomical shape with special nipple grooves and strong velcro to hold the liner in place in the reviews gets user approval. The price of 20-30 liners from the UK reaches 320-540 rubles, packs of 60 pieces - 600-800 rubles.
Disposable pads from "Johnsons baby" have good absorbent properties, help keep breasts dry, do not rub the skin. Their ergonomic shape under clothing is not noticeable and does not hinder movement. Liners are made of non-woven viscose fabrics, cellulose, absorbent and adhesive substances. For 30 pieces at the pharmacy you can pay from 350 to 450 rubles.
Super-volume and comfortable pads with a large volume “Dr. Brown” from the USA are ideal for any size of breast. Thanks to the ergonomic shape, tight fit and non-slip. The outer surface of the pads reliably protects against the flow of milk and due to the rough surface does not “flicker” over the bra.
Three layers of natural materials and megaton design make the pads invisible under the clothes and very comfortable. The soft silky coating of the liners in contact with the skin creates a pleasant feeling of care and peace. The cost of 30 pads of Doctor Brown can be 500-510 rubles.
Each Natrakey liner from the UK is made from 100% cotton, natural cellulose and cornstarch, flattened into a bioplast. Organic cotton is bleached without the use of harmful substances. Hypoallergenic disc absorbs milk well, prevents the appearance of cracks. Perfectly tolerated even by the most sensitive skin. A pack of 25 pieces costs 250-300 rubles.
The choice of individual pads for the chest - a matter of taste and physiological characteristics of the body. Someone praises liners with a small volume, and the other mom needs a large gasket to stay dry and neat. The preferences for a particular brand, expressed at the time of purchase, are more often connected with financial possibilities, comfort and absorbing abilities of accessories.
Author: Elena Perevertneva,
specially for Mama66
What pads to choose
In addition, panty liners vary by manufacturer. What products are better, you can find out by studying the reviews on the forums for nursing mothers. Today in the Russian market there are more than 50 names of this product, which differ in filler. Positive reviews have pads Avent and Johnsons baby. Let's look at popular brands.
Why does a situation arise when milk begins to leak, the duration of such a state
They used to say that milk flows because of a weak nipple. The nipple is surrounded by dark skin, which is called the areola. Under it is the location of the muscle fibers. With their reduction, the nipple comes in an erection state. But unlike the clitoris, it is not related to the degree of blood supply. So the muscles of the nipple can respond, for example, to a cold irritant. This is a protective reaction of the body and is aimed at protection from hypothermia.
At the beginning of lactation, the chest becomes very full. The muscle fiber is stretched, stretches heavily and the muscle cannot contract enough to hold the milk. As a result, there is a spontaneous release of it. This is due to the following reasons:
• First of all, this is due to the influx of milk. Mom is still not able to determine for herself how much her baby needs by the amount of food she needs. The kid still confuses day with night, the biological clock is not yet working perfectly. It is still difficult to say exactly what amount of food the child will need. Therefore, just in case, the body produces milk with a certain stock. This causes hot flashes, and therefore, a feeling arises in which the chest just burst. Unclaimed milk just comes out spontaneously.
The full adjustment of the lactation process occurs in all different ways. Usually by 6 months everything is completely normal. Milk is produced exactly as much as the baby needs. But until it is completely back to normal, breast pads for a woman are simply necessary.
• Milk is emitted reflexively. The nipple abounds in nerve endings. When the baby sucks it, nervous impulses enter the brain. In response, oxytocin begins to be synthesized. It leads to the fact that muscle contraction occurs in the milk alveoli. Milk starts to be squeezed into the milky way. Reflexively, milk can be released even if mommy hears the baby crying. This condition in different moms continues unequally in time and depends on the emotionality of the woman.
Over time, everything returns to normal and returns to normal. Already laying is not required at all.
The duration of breastfeeding leads to loss of nipple sensitivity. It is senseless to use any physical exercises to train nipples, but to achieve the return of elastic properties by the following activities:
• water procedures of contrasting nature (shower) in relation to the nipple,
• you can attach a piece of ice to the nipple,
• massage manipulations nipple.
In order not to experience awkwardness in the course of milk flow, you can use special pads - inserts. It is difficult to say what will suit a particular woman. Everything is determined by the time and place of their use. At home or for short walks, it is better to use reusable liners. If a long-term appearance is required, for example, for a night event, helium pads for the chest are used. And there are silicone pads for the chest. They are not visible and can be worn even in the pool.
How often to change the pads for the chest?
The answer will not be unequivocal in nature. Everything will depend on the intensity of the process of allocating milk from a woman. It is necessary to change them as they get wet. Some do it more often, others less. If there is thrush or some other infection, the change is carried out after each feeding.
How much to take pads for the chest in the hospital
Approximately in 2-4 days, as a woman gives birth, milk flows to the breast. It becomes larger in size. If the milk is leaking, then inserts are inserted into the bra. Gaskets can be disposable and reusable. A woman in the maternity hospital, along with other things, will need panty liners. Choosing them, you must be guided by the following criteria:
• Each pad or pair must be individually wrapped. In the postpartum period, the nipple is inflamed and hygiene requirements are required.
• The product should have a soft layer that contacts directly with the mammary gland and high-quality absorbent. It ensures good absorption and retention of moisture inside.
• Equipped with a secure fastener (Velcro).
• Gasket has thin edges.
Whichever product you choose, the chest should be aired. Pharmacies have kits in the hospital. In the composition of their contents are gaskets. Bag set contains pads for the breast in the hospital in the amount of one package in which there are 10 pieces. This will be quite enough for the entire time spent in the hospital.
Sometimes mommy can end up in a situation when the gaskets are over. How to replace breast pads? There is no time to go to the store in order to buy another pack of gaskets. Then carry out the use of conventional pads, cutting them into several parts. Another option is to make them yourself from wadded disks. At the same time between the bra and the gasket is placed a piece of cellophane. True, the long help can not be counted.
Breast Absorbency Rating
Among the variety of such products are the following brands:
Babyline breast pads
For single use. Made of soft fabric. Reliably protect against the penetration of fluid and efficiently care for the skin of the breast. The material for the manufacture is spunlace, cellulose. Packed in a package of 60 pieces. The cost is about 350-400 rubles.
Package contains 60 pieces. In the manufacture of processed hot steam. As a result, the material becomes very soft. Absolutely does not injure the nipples and is safe to use. Able to absorb more than 100 ml of liquid, lint-free. The basis is represented by dissolved pulp.
Single use. There is a strip-sticky tape. It absorbs milk by patching the mammary gland. Prevent cracks. Made of non-woven material, cellulose and polyethylene. Subject to bleaching without the use of chlorine. A package contains 30 pieces and costs 180-200 rubles.
Disposable, 4 ply. The outer layer "breathes", holding water. Made of polyester and cotton. Packing 20-30 pieces at the price of 400-500 rubles.
Disposable, not visible under clothing. Wearing does not limit movement. Have the ability to absorb liquid well. In the package of 30 pieces, which costs 270-340 rubles.
Used after childbirth. Differ in a unique form with the presence of side rubber bands. Do not allow leakage. Very soft and securely fixed. In the composition there is a super absorbent. Separate packaging. In the box 10 pieces. The cost of 160-170 rubles.
Promote ultra fast absorption. Made from unreal soft material.
Presented by ultra thin pads. In the package 60 pieces. Bra fastening is done using a double adhesive layer. Made in 3D form. The material of the inner absorbent layer consists of fibrous cellulose wadding with SAP content, represented by a super absorbent. The layer from the surface is represented by natural cotton fibers.
For the manufacture of a special material is used, the edges are soft. The gasket is able to perfectly repeat the anatomical shape of the breast. Fastening to the bra by using adhesive breakdowns.
The design assumes the presence of soft screeds on both sides. Tight fit will not spoil the shape of the chest. The liner has a three-layer structure. The inner surface is represented by high molecular weight material.
Are helium gaskets. The material is filled with helium, which allows the breast to remain dry for a long time. The material is able to "breathe", does not slip.
White with a "breathable" outer layer. Use is associated with comfort. Used for the manufacture of non-woven hypoallergenic material, cellulose and polyethylene. A pack of 30 pieces costs 250 rubles.
Provided with individual packaging. In the box 60 pieces. Comfortable use ensures perfect dryness. Fixation is carried out using an adhesive strip.
Designed for use during lactation. In the box 30 pieces. For the manufacture of used soft non-woven textile material.
Odorless. Equipped with an additional leak protection system. The material is able to breathe. Produced by a Russian manufacturing company.
Manufacturer - Germany. Are pads for women during lactation. Package contains 30 pieces. Additionally, there are napkins in the package.
Gaskets are used for special protection of the skin of the breast during lactation. The absorbent layer is a hypoallergenic material. In a cardboard box packed 30 pieces of gaskets.
They are antibacterial pads for the chest. Designed for use by mothers since the birth of the baby. Contain a special fabric, impregnated with antibacterial composition.
Are helium pads for the chest. Consist of four layers. Absorbent layer "breathes", is represented by the super absorbent material SAP. Does not slip.